Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Commission work- direction from from the collector- artist Isabelle Gautier


Here are the directions for my latest commission:


Photo 1 - entrance  into living room from front hallway.
Photo 2 - entrance into living room from front hallway showing a painting on opposite wall of where yours will be hung
Photo 2b - close up of 36 x 36 painting on opposite wall of where yours will be hung (getting framed in a floating frame right now)

Benjamin Moore Colors In Room:

Natural Wicker OC-1 (Wall color)
White Dove (Trim & Wainscoting)

Lots of different shades of Blues/Grays in the room:
Boothbay Gray  HC-165  (Stripes on the 2 stools and the color of the linen drapes)
Black Pepper 2130-40  (The 2 leather chairs)
Stonecutter 2135-20   (Darkest color in the rug)
In The Midnight Hour 1666  (Round mirror over fireplace)  *possible color you can use for vertical lines for tree trunks?

Objects in Glass Cabinets array of different blues:  
Blue Stream 1668
Saratoga Springs 1669
Alfresco 1672
Santa Monica Blue 776
Blue Lake 2053-40 
heavenly peace 746


Notes for trees landscape painting:
 I sent you a picture of the only other painting in the room which, keep in mind, will be on the opposite wall from yours. It's a pretty bold piece. I like the idea of incorporating the blue grays in both paintings to compliment each other. However, I also don't want it to be too "matchy" and forced - if you know what I mean. Therefore, I invite you to use hints of other colors like greens and soft yellows and/or even hints of coral, roses or reds coming through. 





Here what the collector wrote:

The piece is absolutely beautiful and fits the room very well.


What the client did very well is picking the artist according to the style and color she wanted. We all know some artists are better with their favorite colors. Asking a painter who mostly paint vibrant color to paint black and white does not work. I had done a lot of  work with blues and greys and the client knew it.

Ps:I did not comply all the way actually, because in all these directions I messed up the dimensions and ended up painting a slightly smaller canvas. - my unconscious  deep rebellious me at work- The client was elegant and wanted to make it worked and it did. 

I will make sure to send her an extra painting as a gesture for Just good client/artist relationship.



No comments: